Saturday, October 07, 2006

It is all in our habits.


I have been thinking about this for some time. Why is it so difficult for some of us to do things which are, for others, very easy to do. We are all prisoners of habits and I guess it is very difficult for some of us to change these habits. It starts with when we wake up in the morning and ends with the time we hit the bed. What we do in the interregnum is what we are used to doing all along. We try to resist any changes in the patterns we built in leading our daily life. Even the way we think is also the result of the old habits. They say "Old habits die hard". We all die one day but the habits that we build up in our lives never die on their own till we are gone. We have to kill them and it is never easy for us to do so. We all want to be good, look good, feel good, eat good, live good, yet when it comes to the supposedly good habits it is always very difficult for us to cultivate and replace the bad habits. Does that mean "New habits die easy"? I believe it is very easy kick off new habits, because they are not habits till they are old. There is an article on Old habits at www.PhysOrg.com, for which I have given a link in this post.


My Father used to tell me that I have to be disciplined in order to succeed in life and once your habit patterns are formed in the early part of life, it will not be easy for me to change and unless I made changes, I will have to suffer later. I realize now, that, not only is discipline very important early on in life, it helps us in dealing with the situations more confidently. Self Confidence is also the way we perceive about ourselves and I think that too is a habit. May be this can go on and on, but I need to stop it somewhere, lest this becomes my habit. I don't want to add to my repertoire of habits! But I am not sure if I am succeeding in that goal, because not doing something is also a habit!!!

No comments: